BY: TAN CHOON WEI
AUGUST 18 (HCPS, GEORGE TOWN) – The Democratic Action Party (DAP) has pledged a donation of RM1 million for the construction of a new campus for Han Chiang University College of Communication (HCUC), one of the largest private donations of its kind made by the political party.
A special cheque presentation ceremony was held at Han Chiang Primary School. It was meant as a follow up for the groundbreaking ceremony that took place two weeks earlier, which coincided with the six-state elections that barred any political parties from making private donations of this kind.
Special guests in the ceremony included Mr. Anthony Loke, the incumbent Transport Minister and Secretary-General of the DAP; Mr. Lim Guan Eng, the National Chairman of the DAP; Mr. Chow Kon Yeow, the Chief Minister of Penang; and many other high ranking DAP federal parliamentarians and state representatives.
The event, which began at 2.00 pm, was also attended by 400 students and teachers from all three component schools of the institution.
Datuk Seri Ooi Soo Hing, chairman of the Board of Directors, praised Mr. Loke in his opening speech for his effort to fulfil his promise of attending this ceremony as a token of appreciation for the school.
He hopes that the minister will visit HCUC as an honoured guest once the new campus is set to complete in 2025.
“I believe this project (construction of the new campus) will create a new generation of quality education within HCUC,” the Datuk Seri said.
In his speech, Mr. Loke thanked Han Chiang Institution for its assistance and generosity during the 2008 federal elections, when the school provided the arena for a major gathering of DAP supporters on the eve of 8 March 2008.
The event, attended by an estimated 50 to 100-thousand people, was the largest ever rally held by an opposition party in Penang.
It was cited as one of the turning points that led DAP to take the helm of the state’s administration for the first time in history when it won the state elections that year.
Following the ceremony, guests were treated with high tea and a visit to Han Chiang Primary School’s newly built campuses.
LISTS OF IMPORTANT GUESTS OF HONOUR OF THIS CEREMONY
FROM THE DEMOCRATIC ACTION PARTY (DAP):
- The Honourable Mr. Anthony Loke Siew Fook, Transport Minister, Secretary-General of the DAP;
- The Honourable Mr. Lim Guan Eng, National Chairman of the DAP;
- The Honourable Ms. Lim Hui Ying, Deputy Education Minister, Secretary of the Penang DAP;
- The Honourable Mr. Chow Kon Yeow, Chief Minister of Penang, Chairman of the Penang DAP;
- The Honourable Mr. Steven Sim Chee Keong, Second Deputy Minister of Finance, National Organising Secretary of the DAP;
- The Honourable Mr. Wang Hon Wai, Penang EXCO;
- The Honourable Ms. Lim Siew Khim, Penang EXCO;
- The Honourable Mr. Daniel Gooi Zi Sen, Penang EXCO;
- The Honourable Mr. Sundarajoo Samu, Penang EXCO;
FROM THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF HAN CHIANG INSTITUTION:
- Tan Sri Dato’ Seri Tan Kok Ping (JP), Executive Advisor of the BoD;
- Dato’ Seri Choot Ewe Seng, BoD Advisor;
- Dato’ Seri Ooi Soo Hing, Chairman of the BoD;
- Dato’ Seri Hong Yeam Wah, President of the Penang Chinese Chamber of Commerce, Vice Chairman of the BoD;
- Dato’ Seri Ng Tee Soo, Chairman of the Penang Teochew Association, Chairman of the Property Councillors of Han Chiang Institution